News 28 May 2021
A little over three months since Victoria’s last lockdown, businesses will once again close their doors to the public as Acting Premier James Merlino announced another ‘circuit-breaker’ lockdown.
From 11:59pm pm on 27 May, Victoria will go into lockdown for seven days until 3 June in an effort to suppress the growing number of COVID-19 cases.
The decision came after a further 12 confirmed cases of COVID-19 across Victoria – all of which were acquired locally through community transmission, bringing the total to 34 active COVID-19 cases and more than 150 exposure sites.
Victorians will only be allowed to leave home for the four reasons we have become familiar with, with one addition:
- Shopping for food or essential items
- To provide caregiving or medical treatment
- For exercise (outdoor only and only with one person in your household)
- Work or study if not possible from home
- To get a COVID-19 vaccine
While this will be the fourth time lockdown measures have been applied, it will be the first lockdown businesses will have had to face without JobKeeper support.
How the restriction impact you
The snap lockdown will have a devastating impact on many businesses who were just beginning to regain a sense of normalcy. The new restriction includes:
- Essential businesses can remain open – supermarkets, post offices, pharmacy etc.
- Pubs, bars, and nightclubs to be closed (takeaway allowed)
- Restaurants and cafes to be closed (takeaway and delivery allowed)
- Beauty and personal care services to be closed
- Gyms and indoor sports centers to be closed
- Galleries, museums, zoos to be closed
- Holiday accommodation and camping facilities to be closed
- Funerals restricted to 10 people (plus staff)
- Weddings cancelled
- Schools and universities to operate online only
- Property auctions must be held online
There are a number of social restrictions that Victorians will also have to comply with:
- Facemasks must be worn indoors and outdoors
- Exercise must be restricted to two hours per day
- No visitors in the home except for intimate partners
- No public gatherings
More information and help
For more information about what requirements are in place and what resources are available for your business, visit the Mansfield District Business Association website www.mansfielddba.com.au
As always, the most up-to-date information about restrictions are available on the Victoria Government’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) website. For information about how restrictions affect your business, visit the Business Victoria website.
If you, as an employer or an employer’s representative feel unsure about what your organisation has in place or would like help in putting a plan in place, please do not hesitate to contact Mansfield District Business Association on 0447 905 358.